For the love of the game and inspiring youth at risk - volunteer your skills and time to underprivileged children and help them develop their love for the game into a meaningful journey to rediscovering themselves. It is said that sport is a tool to unite the hearts and minds of a nation and to overcome borders and issues of race and religion. Let’s find out!
Soccer/Football is a universal language with a most persuasive tongue. Still inspired by the magical FIFA World Cup in 2010, the time is now to create that inspiration into the skills of our youth. Streetwise Soccer is aimed at using soccer as a tool for personal and social transformation in schools and “high-risk” communities in various townships in Cape Town. This is done in a Holistic Programme called “COACHING-4-LIFE!”
Volunteers will work in conjunction with the project coaches using soccer as a tool to create focus, drive and dedication in our vulnerable and impressionable youths who often come from an underprivileged background. Volunteers and coaches help with identifying and mentoring the youngsters in the local community - to a better life.
The project is based at Wingfield Primary School. This is where all the Under-7 and Under-9 school teams gather every Wednesday to play their league matches. Volunteers/Coaches also meet here to plan the weekly matches and coaching itinerarys at some of the schools.
Volunteers will be working with children at primary school level between the ages of 7-14. Different games and sports are played alongside soccer, like hockey, so if you’re enthusiastic about any kind of sport you’re welcome, it’s not only for soccer experts.
- To be part of a club with a healthy environment that is conducive for children to feel safe, a sense of belonging and support
- Share your skills and passion for the game
- Encourage growth and confidence
- Being a positive influence to young people and helping them to make important life decisions.
Weekly Schedule & Activities
- Assisting the coaches
- Transferring skills - to the youth and coaches
- Working with schools to enhance their after school sport activities
- Coaching the youth - encouraging them to develop their soccer skills and personal confidence
- Assisting with setting up the coaching itinerary
- Having fun and being a mentor for the youth participating in the programme
This project is closed during the South African school holidays.
31 March - 18 April
11 December 2017 - 16 January 2018
Please note that you cannot book a project to coincide with these dates. If you want to book a project where the first part of the project is before the holidays, and the second part is after the holidays, talk to your travel advisor who will be able to help you.
- Airport transfers
- Cape Town Orientation Package: 3 nights' accommodation, orientation that covers everything the volunteers need to know about staying in South Africa (from social skills to transport and safety), two meals per day, bus trip into town, lunch (on the Friday), walking tour of the city, a train ride back to the accommodation and day trip (on the Saturday)
- All paperwork, placement and liaising with your volunteer program
- Appointed supervisor for the duration of program
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner)
- Donation per month to the volunteer project to assist in their funding
- A South African SIM card that works on a pay-as-you-go top up system
- Monthly socials for volunteers to get together and meet other volunteers (cost depends on the social)
- Certificate & report on volunteer`s program should this be required for studies or other purposes
- FREE 2-hour surf lesson
Mandatory Volunteer Requirements
- Minimum age of 18
- Police clearance required
- Intermediate English. You must be able to understand enough English to follow instructions and communicate with the youth.
You can choose to be accommodated in a Volunteer House OR with a South African Host Family in local community (own room or shared room with another volunteer (same gender)).
Here is some additional info about your accommodation in the case of a Volunteer House:
- Shared rooms between 4-6 volunteers
- Communal lounge and kitchen
- Your airport transfers are included in the price.
- A You2Africa shuttle (door to door from host family/volunteer house direct to project) is included in the price.
- Volunteers can also hire a car (at their own cost; only with valid a driver's license).
Arrive Thursday for orientation, start volunteering Monday.
A few notes on your meals:
- Breakfast is self service and provided by the volunteer house host/host family
- Supper is a cooked meal provided by the volunteer house host/host family
- Lunch is not included in the price and is at the volunteers' own cost.
- The food can be and often is very basic.
- Special dietary needs must be passed on to us at the time of booking. While it is possible to cater for special dietary needs most of the time, this might not be the case if you have extremely complex needs. Please be prepared to take care of any special food requirements yourself.